FOOD: How to make dumplings 饺子 jiǎo zi
Age: All ages!
Make these super easy dumplings 饺子 jiǎo zi with your students. Have the kids help with beating the egg, brushing the egg wash to help seal the dumplings and even folding the dumplings into little triangles.
• ½ lb ground pork, chicken or turkey
• 2 scallions finely sliced
• 1½ tsp soy sauce
• ¼ tsp white pepper
• ½ tsp sesame oil (optional)
• 1 egg beaten
• store bought square wonton wrappers (usually available next to tofu in most grocery stores)
For dipping sauce:
• 2 tsp soy sauce
• ¼ tsp sugar
• ½ tsp rice wine vinegar (optional)
1. Mix the minced meat with the scallions, soy sauce, white pepper, sesame oil and half of the beaten egg. Reserve the rest of the egg for sealing the dumplings
2. Combine the ingredients for the dipping sauce
3. Arrange several wonton wrappers with corners facing you and place ½ a tablespoon worth of meat mixture in the center of each wrapper. Use a pastry brush or your fingers to brush the edges with the beaten egg. Fold the wrapper in half and form little triangular parcels. Repeat till meat mixture is used up.
4. Steam for 5-6 minutes (do not forget to grease the steamer basket with cooking oil if using a metal steamer). Alternatively, you can cook the dumplings in boiling water which is easier and takes about 3 minutes.
5. For pot stickers, if you want more calories and crunch, pan fry the cooked dumplings in a little oil, 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve warm with dipping sauce and watch them disappear